Monday, November 17, 2008

Write A Little -- A Cynic or an Optimist?

I am a lover of words. Their emotional baggage fascinates me, their usage, their sound . . . seriously I could go on but I will get to the point (eventually) of my writing post today. Last week I read a comparison between the two words cynic and skeptic. I was intrigued because I began to wonder am I more cynical or skeptical? Then I started to think maybe I am more optimistic. So I looked up definitions (shocking, I know). And here is my challenge today. How do you find your self approaching life? Perhaps, like me you are sometimes a cynic, sometimes a skeptic, sometimes an optimist and sometimes a pessimist. Examine yourself a little and if you feel so inclined write it in a journal, blog it or comment here.

Cynical:
adjective. believing that people are motivated in all their actions only by selfishness; denying the sincerity of people's motives and actions, or the value of living; sarcastic ...

I am pretty cynical that there are any decent politicians in our country. Occasionally, when I am really tired and cranky, I believe all the carpoolers going to and from school could care less about everyone else trying to get out of the mayhem.

Skeptical
noun . 1. a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual. 2. a person who maintains a doubting attitude, as toward values, plans ...

Unfortunately, I find myself playing the part of a skeptic a lot, especially when it comes to sudden illnesses in my children that occur whenever they have to clean their room. I mean your arms can't hurt every day around room cleaning time, can they? Another headache, you have to be kidding me.
I am also pretty skeptical about all those fad diet miracles.

Optimist
- somebody positive: somebody who tends to feel hopeful and positive about future outcomes
- follower of optimism: a follower of a philosophical doctrine of optimism

I am happy to say I am often an optimist. I feel hopeful that spring will bring all the bulbs I planted. I am optimistic the deer and rabbits will not destroy my yard as badly as they did last year. I am optimistic that my children will make mostly good choices. I believe that happiness is a daily possibility.

Pessimist:
very negative person: somebody who always expects the worst to happen.

I am definitely a pessimist occasionally, especially when it comes to health. I really am expecting the worst when it comes to flu and cold season. I am a little pessimistic about having all my health concerns resolved.

So where do you stand. Are you a cynic, a skeptic, an optimist or a pessimist?

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I think i am like you and can be a little of all of them with certain situations. Glad to hear it isn't just my kids who suddenly don't feel good when it is time to clean. Wimps!

H said...

I'm going to rate myself a cynical optimist. Most of the time I am sarcastic and most of the time I think things are going to be great. Sometimes I have moments of the other two though.

Camille said...

I aim to be an optimist but think I tend to get cynical. This is a good reminder for me. ALWAYS look for the posative.

I got my pictures taken by Abbey at

www.akstudio.typepad.com
If you end up using her tell her I referred you and I'll get a punch on my punch card!

Colette said...

hey rachelle, based on your definitions ,i am definitely an optimist! i had no idea, I also swing to pessimism so maybe i'm bipolar!

Melinda said...

I did take some pictures just last month. I will email asap.