Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of School and A Dad's Revenge





There they are, my 6th grader and my 2nd grader. They are tall giants, I know. Today was the first day of school and I am happy to say my kids were excited to return. Isaac was dressed by 6:40 until I reminded him that he needed a shower. Seriously, they better sleep in until 7 am tomorrow. They each got to have the same teacher they had last year and so there was a lot of familiarity for them today. It was low stress and mostly just reconnecting with friends. I really can not believe I have a child in sixth grade. It kind of blows my mind. I had a day of peaceful relief and, strangely enough, a little sadness. I would have loved another week of summer just to relax and prepare. Oh well, we are back in the saddle again.

We had an emotional week last week and yet my husband and son know how to keep this house laughing. Isaac learned a valuable lesson this Saturday. Never start a water fight with Tom. You can't win and you won't win. Isaac decided to douse his Dad with a safety cone full of water at the ward picnic. Later that night as Isaac slept, Tom got his payback.



Isaac slept through the shaving cream makeover and the photos. The boy is a sound sleeper. Tom finally got out of bed to clean Isaac's hands and face (he was worried he would wake up with a rash.) Isaac opened his eyes for this part but he has no recollection of the event. The next day, Isaac discovered his Dad had replaced his computer wallpaper with the sleeping Isaac. We laughed and laughed. Isaac said something about a bucket of water, a hand and my bed. I decided it was time for the practical jokes to come to an end.

The following message is meant for a few of my readers. Disregard if you don't get it:
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF 8 HUGS.

6 comments:

Libby said...

Those pics of Isaac ARE hilarious! What a funny thing.

Our family has changed a lot in the last week...it is good. I have all new feelings for my siblings...and that's good too. In many ways last week was emotional, but it was also amazing.

Stephanie said...

I should of warned him, you really don't mess with Tom. But I have a feeling, Isaac is too much like his father, and I'm afraid to say this, but I think you might have some interesting times ahead of you. Just wait until he is in high school, things could get fun!

Trinity said...

I can't believe he put that on his face for pay back and then cleaned him up before he even knew. Good thing you got pictures.
You better make Tom wear a diaper the next few nights just to be sure the practical jokes have ended.

Taryn said...

That is too funny. At the ward party I was totally egging Isaac on to get Tom with the water. Hopefully I don't get payback too.

Melinda said...

That is pretty awesome of tom to get back. How could he think he wouldn't?

nicole said...

okay that is just hilarious I laughed out loud at the image of Isaac dumping the cone and of Tom having to go back to wipe off the shaving cream.