Ok I have to confess, sometimes I just lose my cool, completely. Tom and I went to the temple this afternoon and I had a wonderful time. I picked my kids up afterwards in a good mood. Tom is off to watch football somewhere but I am thinking all goes well.
That is until you expect my kids to do anything for someone else. I am in the bathroom (sorry) and I realize I have run out of toilet paper. I yell for someone to get me some toilet paper but they are too busy yelling at each other to hear me. This goes on for several minutes. Finally, they hear me yelling and next thing I know they are fighting about going to get me toilet paper. Nobody wants to do it. So for the next five minutes I hear them fighting with each other about who should go get it. I am beyond livid. How long am I going to have to hang out in the bathroom before someone realizes how ridiculously selfish they are being. I am pretty irate and threatening all kinds of doom and loss of privileges if I don't get some toilet paper soon. Finally, Isaac realizes I have reached irrational, steaming hot, head sare going to roll mad and decides to go get the toilet paper (He is, after all, the 11 year old not-afraid-of -the-basement child) he should be the bigger one, I think.
He can't find the toilet paper and well how we solved that problem doesn't need to be detailed. But when I finally emerge from the bathroom I am calling my children all kinds of names of selfish. I have taken Isaac's privilege away to watch a movie that night and I am pretty much in temper tantrum stage.
Well, we all calmed down. My kids finally told me they were sorry after I pointed out that I would never do that to them. I also pointed out that I also never say things to them like "I am tired of taking you to your practices or making you dinner, do it yourself." I also never let them stand in the shower for 10 minutes, while I fight with their Dad about who is going to get them a towel. Isaac literally asks for a towel every day. Where are all his towels? Nobody knows.
Anyway we worked it out but now I am feeling bad. I overreacted and I said some mean things. I am really mad I let all that contention get control of our family right after I came home from the temple. But I am not perfect and like I always say, At least I get to wake up tomorrow and start all over again.
4 comments:
That's kind of a funny story. I know it wasn't at the time but now you gotta laugh a little right! And you do know that we all have those moments with our own children. It's life, we lose our cool. We are only human. Thanks for the little giggle. And for reminder to think before I open my mouth and react, but yes there is always tomorrow. It's my justification for just about everything, and it's a good one.
Oh, I would be pretty mad also. This is a hard one.
Just stash a good book or magazine in the bathroom. So when the next time instead of getting angry over them fighting you can look at it as your alone time instead. Heck that is what the guys do.
Post a Comment