Monday, January 12, 2009

Write A Little - When I Grow Up

Today my writing prompt is to encourage everyone to reflect on what they wanted to be when they grew up. I was talking about this today with my kids and it really got me thinking.

I want to be an oceanographer. At least, I was sure this was my career path when I was in 4th and 5th grade. Everything about the ocean fascinated me and I thought Jaques Cousteau was the coolest and luckiest man ever. Like many kids this age, the science of water and animals was an easy attention getter.

In highschool, I had dreams of becoming an architect. This seems a little odd to me because I took more English electives than any of my friends, but I loved the science of homes. Pretty soon, I realized I would have to use math all the time and even though I was good at geometry, the word math just made me panic. I also couldn't draw a straight line to save my life. I know they have drafting programs for this but the math and the straight line requirements scared me away from the architect biz.

So, I launched myself into college with no direction and no clue where I was going. After some serious soul searching and a great deal of prayer I finally decided to graduate with a degree in journalism. I would write because, I had always been a writer. I have many amateur novel starts to prove it. Eventually, with my degree in hand I became a mother. I had no idea that being a mother was a job like any other job. At least, I didn't put them in the same playing field. Of course, now I understand that mothering is a job choice and a life choice just like anything else. This morning by 9:30 I had fed my kids, taken the two older kids to school, came home got dressed, got my preschooler off to school, dropped off Isaac's forgotten violin for orchestra, picked up a prescription and arrived at my dr. appointment. Last night I spent a good two hours in the ER after a little scare. I had a scary looking infection that was spreading across my face. It ended up being an infection, associated with kids - impetigo. I felt pretty cruddy yesterday but I still got up this morning and did my mom stuff. If mothering is not a job I don't know what is. The crazy part was I didn't feel annoyed that I had to get all these things taken care of by 9:30 a.m. Actually, I felt empowered, maybe the same way a high exec does after they make a successful presentation. This morning I was good at my job.

The other day my sister asked me "Does anyone really love their work?" I had to quickly answer yes. I get to do what I love everyday. I get to write and occasionally, I get paid for it. I even get to write about houses a lot which kind of dovetails with the whole architect thing. But more importantly I have the privilege of being a Mom and no ocean discovery, no building design, and no essay, article or book I write will ever give me the satisfaction of discovering my children's personalities while I help build them into unique individuals.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I am doing what I really want. I always wanted to be a mom. Nothing else. Now when I think about going back to school, I still don't know what in. Who knows.

Libby said...

I also love what I do. I honestly love being a mom and taking x-rays. Both are perfect for me. My problem is that sometimes I want to go back to school to do other stuff too. I keep thinking that I am sure there is other stuff out there that I would love to do for a time as well. My two main ones are becoming a cake decorator or a physicians assistant. They are on the opposite side of the spectrum, but I would love to try out both of them!

I hope you are feeling better!

Trinity said...

When I was little I wanted to be a writer. I soon found out that was not my path. Being a mom truly is the best job any woman could have in my opinion. I go crazy all day but if I didn't how boring would that be. No, it's very exciting.

I too hope you are feeling better. I just heard yesterday that you had been very ill. Please let me know if I can help.