-- When we are toddlers we want to be just like our mothers. When we are in college we don't want to be anything like her. When we are mothers we find ourselves vascillating between wanting to be like more like her and trying to not be like her. Eventually we find we are very much like her.--
-- excerpts from poem "The Cradle of Your Arms" written just before I left for college.
I suppose you were proud then when you first held me in the loving cradle of your arms. And when I smiled, from reflexes the doctors say, You knew I was remembering that we had made a promise eons ago to reunite as friends. . . .
Now eighteen years of laughter and tears have added up and all the reprimands and moments sprung from misunderstanding, the victories and joys tell me to reach out once again for the cradle of your arms and smile in sweet remembrance and gratitude.
-- Excerpt from "Katarina's Water Pitcher" -- My mother’s giggle, her sacrifices, her strength, dress my mother in beauty every day, even as the years begin to take away her youth. I can never forget her daily ministrations.
I know I have written more things about my mother, I just can't find them. I do love her and think she is just adorable. I am proud to be one of my Mom's "people" as she calls her children. I anxiously await hearing her delighted giggle everytime she sees me after a long absence. My Mom is a shining example of femininity. She made me realize that being a woman is a beautiful blessed experience. I also love passing some of her little traditions on to my children. For years I sang Isaac the same lullaby my Mom sang me. It was a sad day when my son told me he was too old for a nightly song. I often catch my children off guard by saying "Guess What?" as if I have the greatest surprise of their life. "What?" they respond as I once did and still do. "I love you." I reply just like my mother does.
Thanks for everything Mom. Love ya tons.
3 comments:
THis was very sweet Rachelle. I hope your mom had a great day.
I'm teary eyed. I hope mom gets to read this.
Thanks for helping me to appreciate mom more, sometimes we forget just what she means to all of us. That picture chokes me up for some reason, what a great mom she is to us.
Post a Comment