Sunday, July 20, 2008

Inspirational Thought

Before I began this blog I promised myself I would share my thoughts on some of my beliefs. So every Sunday I will write about the thoughts of my heart, my religion, my testimony.

This Sunday I was asked to teach the 11-year-old girls. I happen to love this age, so I gladly said yes. The lesson was the story of Moroni from the Book of Mormon (http://lds.org). Moroni was a man of action. As I reread the story in Alma 46-49 I realized how devoted he was to his country, his liberty and his God. In the story he raises a pledge of freedom to rally his people to his side as they face the threat of a man who wishes to enslave them. But Moroni doesn't just put his flag out in front of his house and call it a day, he proceeds to arm himself for war, pray to his God and travel throughout his land proclaiming his and his people's freedom. His courage raises an army ready to defend their liberty and their families. He continues to lead his people by preparing and rebuilding the city. He continues to pray to God and when the armies of a usurping King come to the gates of his city, Moroni and his people are prepared both physically and spiritually for the onslaught. They win an unbelievable victory. They do not lose a single life while the enemy loses 1,000 lives. In their victory, they praise their God in thanksgiving.

I love this story. I wonder how I too can be a person of action. Too often I am just a person of words. I am often afraid to voice my opinions against things that oppose my beliefs because I do not want to offend someone. I too want to be like Moroni and his people devoted to the cause of preserving my spiritual and physical liberty. I, like Moroni, am blessed to live in a land of liberty, a liberty I believe is protected by God. As the election approaches I hope I can understand the decisions that face our country and choose clearly. I hope I can be unafraid to proclaim beliefs that will continue to protect, families and freedom.

I believe the story of Moroni holds a lesson for everyone whether they are members of the LDS church or not. We are a blessed people in America, we should rally around our own flag and we should be a people of action, ready to stand up for our beliefs.

2 comments:

nicole said...

thanks for sharing shelle-hey mendy wants you to invite her to your blog check my comments section on the post marked AACK for her email if you still need it.

Colette said...

Rachelle I love the story of moroni, from the time my children were little, i told them the story of a people who waved a flag, and proclaimed their freedom. I never realized what a patriot I was until i started teaching my kids history. Now i get choked up over anything that shows honor and valor for righteous freedom. yes , even the song from mulan gets me every time.