Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day of School





Notice the collars. We have a ton of collared shirts now, due to my kid's school dress code.
I just want to say thanks for all the awesome advice on my last post, especially from those who have daughters. I did talk to her, apparently she is not the only friend doing this. She did say it would make her feel bad to know she moved down someone's list. I pointed out that if you have several "best friends" you can refer to them as "one of your best friends" without assigning them a number.

My kids started school today. What a relief. The drop off and pick-up system was a little wierd and they definitely have some kinks to work out or it is going to be a giant traffic jam everyday. My kids didn't want me to walk them into the school, even though it was their first time inside. I had Lia with me and she was dressed up in her fluffiest dress-up gown (already at 8 a.m. in the morning). They were embarrassed to be seen with her. At least that is what they told me. So I drove up to the curb as instructed per the school's drop off requirements, they jumped out, I made one of the traffic helpers take a picture of them and then I drove off. It was a little disconcerting. By 2:00 I was a nervous wreck, wondering how their day went. Would they be totally wierded out by the new school? Would they be begging me to take them back to their old school?
Becca made it through a whole day of first grade -- which she thought was boring. They went over all kinds of behavior directions. The kids get to move through the class rooms a lot more than in their previous school and the teachers took the time to really teach them proper etiquette about going up and down stairs, moving their chairs, etc. The kids felt a little silly. I tried to explain to them that they get to move around a lot more on their own in this school and it was important they learn how to respect their environment. They kind of got it.

They still seemed to enjoy some of their first day. Isaac thinks his German art teacher is cool. Becca really likes the fish and water frogs in her classroom. And she already made a new friend. I really liked the orderly pace of my day. Well almost orderly. We did have a few backslides in the potty training department. Still I was excited to have them back. So far they haven't begged me to take them back to their old elementary school.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

My kids went on the bus for the last few first days. They don't want me taking them in. It isn't cool! Livy will still let me take her to pre school thankfully. Someone still loves me.

I have really enjoyed the time and structure of having 2 home. It has been great so far.

Libby said...

Did none of Isaac and Becca's friends transfer to the charter school? How many people are going? Is is popular or if it isn't, it might just take a few years for people to catch on and accept it. I'm glad they had a good first day and that the school finally opened for you guys! Where is this new school located?

Melinda said...

Becca is such a spitting image of you!! Just with blond hair.

KA said...

Who knew that "best friends" would become such a heart-wrenching term for young girls. We keep trying to avoid the ranking system as well. From what I've heard, it only gets worse as these precious ones get older and their emotions become even more crazy. She's lucky to have you guiding her through the process.